Historic St. Mary's
Mission & Museum
est. 1841

Historic Brand of St. Mary's Mission - Cross on a Hill

406-777-5734
Email: stmary@cybernet1.com
P.O. Box 211
315 Charlo Street
Stevensville, MT 59870

The Mission Grounds
The Bitterroot mountains are the backdrop to Historic St. Mary's Mission. The ever-changing view in this peaceful setting affords inspiring photo opportunities and lifetime memories. Visitors are encouraged to take a tour, just stroll the grounds, or enjoy a picnic in De Smet park in the shadow of St. Mary's Peak.
  1. The Visitor's Center at Historic St. Mary's Mission
    The Visitors Center at Historic St. Mary's Mission
  2. The Historic Chapel at St. Mary's Mission Complex
    The Historic Chapel at St. Mary's Mission
  3. East view of the Chapel showing the study, dining room and kitchen attachments
    Chapel & attached study, dining room, kitchen
  4. Chief Victor's cabin built in 1861
    Chief Victor's Cabin, now a Salish museum
  5. Diorama of Chief Big Face, Fr. De Smet and Chief Victor
    The Diorama was dedicated in 2005
  6. Replica of a two-wheeled cart used to carry supplies and belongings for the Jesuits into the Bitterroot Vallley in 1841
    Replica of two wheeled cart
  7. Stone marker placed by the Salish to honor their ancestors
    Stone Marker placed by the Salish
  8. Apple tree planted in 1869 by Fr. Ravalli
    Fr. Ravalli's apple tree planted in 1869
  9. Replica of a Salish encampment surrounded by native plants.
    Replica of a Salish encampment
Back to Photo Gallery