Historic St. Mary's
Mission & Museum
est. 1841

Historic Brand of St. Mary's Mission - Cross on a Hill
406-777-5734
stmary@cybernet1.com
P.O. Box 211
315 Charlo Street
Stevensville, MT 59870

About Historic St. Mary's Mission, Inc

Formed in 1988, Historic St. Mary’s, Inc., is a non-profit organization. The goal of the organization is to preserve, restore, maintain and promote the Mission Complex  founded in 1841 by Jesuit priests under the leadership of  Father Pierre Jean De Smet, S.J.
The Mission circa 1930's
Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles

Mission:  Historic St. Mary’s Mission, Inc. preserves the St. Mary’s Mission historic site and provides an educational experience for students, historians, travelers, and our local communities.

Vision:  Historic St. Mary’s Mission plays a significantly important role in Montana and American history and is an integral and interactive part of the Bitterroot Valley. Our vision is for the Mission to become better recognized for its historical significance and for the organization to develop financial stability. 

Guiding Principles:   The Board of Directors and the Executive Director will:
Preserve and maintain the buildings, exhibits, artifacts, and grounds which include:
  1.    Chapel with attached Study, Dining Room and Kitchen
  2.    Father Ravalli's Cabin
  3.    Chief Victor's Cabin
  4.    Ox Cart Barn
  5.    Dove Cote
  6.    Diorama
  7.    Smoke House/ Root Cellar
  8.    Visitor Center which houses a Museum, Gift Shop, Office,
            Art Gallery, Research Library, Meeting Room, Kitchenette,       
            3 Restrooms, Elevator Lift
     9.    Salish Encampment
    10.   Apple Orchard
    11.   Storage Shed
    12.   Irrigation and grooming of 3 1/4 acres

Historic St. Mary's Mission, Inc. is administered by a nine member Board and operated by an Executive Director. Volunteers serve as tour guides, grounds keepers, clerical workers and see to the operation of the gift shop.

The maintenance and operation of the Mission complex is reliant on tour fees, gift shop sales, grants and donations through such programs as  Support the Mission .

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, St. Mary’s  is a cultural and historical icon of the early days of the American West. The town of Stevensville and the State of Montana were formed from these early beginnings. Historic St. Mary’s Mission, Inc., continually strives to strengthen ties with, and acknowledge its roots in the Salish Indian culture , while preserving the area’s delicate past for future generations.

For travelers and local visitors alike, the old Mission affords a look back to Montana's first pioneer community - the place where agriculture, medicine, education and religion were first introduced.

NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
National Historic Register emblem
In 2010 the Historic St. Mary's Mission complex was added to the National Register of Historic Places. This was the culmination of over four years of work by both local and state contributors.